Monday, June 15, 2009

The Woes of a Grad Student

Sorry, it has been too long. Want the fill-in of what I have been doing? Well, it's really simple: worrying like a mad woman about how is God's green earth people afford to live while in school. Recently Mrs. Smith posted about how she contributes to society yet there are no benefits for her and so on, and I agree completely. How is it possible that our country pushes me to go to more school and more school, yet my punishment is financial ruin? I am hanging in by a thread, literally. I have contemplated the unimaginable to make ends meet for me, yet I know the real rough patch is yet to come. One word for you: internship. Three long, rough, demanding, scary, unpaid internship semesters of HELL. 

Let me break it down further: 

I have no job in September.
I have an internship that I still need to find that starts in January and must last for THREE semesters, the equivalent of 9 months! U-N-P-A-I-D!!!!!!!!!!
I have to move because I can no longer afford my rent.
I have had to rely financially on Da and I hate putting him in that position.
I'm turning 25 next week and I feel like a 4th grader.

To top it off, all of this combined makes me feel like I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown. 

How do I afford life?

2 comments:

Sheri Nugent said...

Oh My Precious. How I have missed your blogging. We should talk. This is very stressful indeed.

Ivy Wilson said...

Tay you'll make it work. You're a resourceful girl and are more capable of handling situations than most people I know. A lot of the situation probably is fear of the unknown. At this point, you don't know where your internship will be or what the schedule / work load will look like etc. Once those pieces begin to fall into place oppurtunities will open up and you'll find ways to save money and supplement your income. You're resource and you should have the confidence to know that.