Friday, December 12, 2008

A Rock and a Hard Place

I work at Cooper Elementary and we are going through some tough times. We have been slated for a school closure. We are a primarily low-income school, have an amazing Autistic program, and have one of the largest ESL population in the Seattle public school system. The saddest thing: the YMCA, teachers, staff, and family's alike will be displaced. The kids will be moved and out of place AGAIN, and now all of the faculty and alternative programs. To add insult to injury, the other schools, family's, PTA, and random others, are being so negative and harsh that I have no words for them. They are just shameful. What are they not considering the well being of the kids? I assume that they think that fighting and spewing angry words is fighting for the school, but it just makes them look like dumb-asses. I am so sad for my kids. I only serve 27 kids daily, but they are our kids, Y kids. They are representative of the population that makes Cooper, Cooper. They love their school and know what is happening around them. I always sneer at the parents that assume their children don't know what is going on around them. WHY???? They are humans, they know what you are saying and what your tone means. You are insulting their intelligence for assuming that they are confused by your condescending tone and disrespectful, none-productive attitude. Shape up! Be an example for them to be proud of, ranting concluded. It must stop. I just hope that we can be mature and proud at the end of all this chaos. 

In the midst, there is a very interesting and smart blog started by an informer. The comments can be offensive and some are highly unintelligent and highly ignorant, but I employ you to take a gander. Form an opinion and let me know. This is not a unique situation and there are hundreds of schools facing this exact predicament. Let me know what you think.....

http://sableverity.wordpress.com/

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Wow Tay, I had no idea. That's horrible :(

We'll have to catch up when I come home for the holidays. I miss u!