Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Special Kind of Meeting

I think I have some sort of funk in my brain. By that, I mean that I have a feature that I don’t think is useful, but I love it because sometime it lets me relive some of my most fun days. 

Feature: I can remember a LOT of things. Specifically, names, first meeting, songs in relation to events, crazy amounts of celebrity trivia, etc.

Somehow I feel like me knack for building things quickly is related to this, but I have not quite ironed out how it relates. Anyway, in my mind they are related. 

What's so fun about this is, I can remember, in great detail, what it was like when I first met my friends. Additionally, I can remember names of all the people there. 

Even stranger is to know that I have dreams about those exact meetings as if my brain is trying to remind me over and over, not to forget. Like when we moved from the house I grew up in, I had dreams for about 2 months, and now every so often, about where all of our old stuff was in the house. I start out at the front door, and I go to every room making sure that everything is there. Crazy, right?

Here is where I find it handy and beautiful, when I remember meeting a greet friend. 

Last week my dear EP emailed me some news that dumbfounds me. It makes me scream and burst into tears. As I read her ever-positive words and grew jealous, just as she would have wanted me, of her new boobs to come, I never felt like I need a nap more than ever. I crawled into bed and wrapped myself up in my duvet tightly, as if I was hugging EP and feel asleep.

I dreamt of her and the day we first met. 

I was a nanny for the worst mother in the world. She was terrible and it would take days to compile a post that explains her, but that would be wasted time and space. That is how hideous she was. Anyway, I was splitting my hours with Melissa and I brought Payton and Avree over to a new friends house for a play date. I drove over a little apprehensive because I was 19 and having a play-date with older women and all of their children. When I walked in, I was bombarded by a little firecracker, Miss Joan. She instantly pulled on my hand to come meet "Finny." While balancing two small children in my hands, I made my way down the hall to Lisa's living room. I put the diaper bag on the floor and looked up to a blonde woman sitting criss-cross-applesauce on the floor. She was beaming at the little cubby red-haired baby in her lap and instantly introduced herself, "Hey, I'm Emily." Done. Friendship started.

We chatted for hours and even set up plans for me to start watching her children. I felt instantly bonded with her and she was so unlike anything the Samammish Plateau had offered thus far. I soon found out that it was CO I had to thank for my new friend, not Samammish. 

After a few months, EP and I became great friends. She would talk about how much she missed her family and how much she loved her sister. I would join, and I honestly think it was the love for our sisters that sparked our lasting friendship. Soon I had to include her in my family, and she fit in so well. It was a perfect chance meeting and my dream took me back to that one fine day.

Over the years, EP has become much more. I love her children so very, very much. I think of her as an extension of my family. We both are crazy about our sisters. We love smutty magazines and good literature. We need warm cups of tea and delicious chocolate. Bad TV is our friend as well as swanky restaurants and amazing food. This is what we have talked about for the last 6 years. This is what has made me treasure that time and chance meeting with this blonde girl from CO.

Here is to missing you EP.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I heart you, Tay. So much more than you'll ever know. We were sisters in another life and we are sisters in spirit for sure.

much much love and I miss you too,
Emily

Sheri Nugent said...

I loved this history lesson - I had forgotten how Emily & Fam came into our lives. That's so great, Taylor. Thanks for this. The Power of the Internet: I feel like the Colorado Clan are family.