Thursday, July 22, 2010

A New Kind of Mad

Dude, Dave and I went to work out this morning at 7am...I know right, me? Yes way! Anyway, we come home sweaty and smelling like serious ass when I am blasted by the smell of cigarettes in the apartment. Ugh.

Background information:

For about the last 4 months, since our downstairs neighbor moved in, we have had the distinct wafting nastiness of cigarette smell coming into our apartment. Since it's summer and 70+ degrees everyday, our back slider is always open to let in a nice cross breeze in and let the kitties roam. Unfortunately, at least 3 times a day we have to sprint to the door and quickly close all of the windows so the smell doesn't permeate our lungs and furniture. I cannot do my annoyance level justice. I want to crawl down and freak on these people.

Here's the thing, I made sure we found an apartment where we could have our cats and be honest to our landlord. I would understand if this wasn't a cat friendly complex and someone told on me because they were allergic or just plain didn't like cats (Which I don't understand these people at all, because really, who really doesn't like cats?) Anyway, it would be my own fault if I got in trouble for not seeking out a place to live where cats are allowed and risking getting in trouble because I broke the rules. SAME GOES FOR THESE SMOKERS, IT'S NOT ALLOWED HERE!!!!! I am sure you all can find a place that lets you roast your insides and where you don't bother your healthy neighbors. Why is it that I have to be the tattle-tail (which I don't mind being so long as I get results, which I have yet to see) and these people can't follow the rules? I am, so they should!

Either way, Dave and I have told on them more that a 1st grader tells on the kid who peed his pants. I am just about feed up with this, but I don't know what else to do. Mrs. Smith, can they be evicted because of this? What else can I do?

Meanwhile, I hope you all enjoy your day and think of me as you breath clean air while I consider getting a gas mask.

6 comments:

The Wife said...

Only your landlord can evict, obviously, and it is very time consuming and expensive, so not likely. However, there are rules about a landlord's duty to prevent interference with your quiet enjoyment of your space. If you are finding that the landlor is not responsive to your verbal requests, you may wish to put something in writing, or at least request that she put something in writing to them...might not be the preferrable route if you want to "maintain relations" with your landlord...

Lori Emmerton said...

nothing more annoying and quick to plug up ones sinuses. I think you should tell your landlord, who absolutely loves you too, that perhaps you need to be looking for another place to live because of your "allergic" reaction to smoke! That should make an impression.

Extra...if it back fires, you and Dave can always come live with me!

Taylor said...

Thanks for the help Sissy...I have let Jeri know several times and I think she is doing something, but I think that the people below don't care. Mom- under no circumstances am I coming to live with you. thanks, but no thanks:)

Sheri Nugent said...

Maybe the neighbors will say that they are smoking on their balcony - and thus not breaking the no smoking rule. Some cities in CA I think have a No Smoking OUTSIDE rule. But hey - what about this: you're getting second hand smoke... so doesn't the landlord have to make sure that doesn't happen? Or tell the neighbors you have asthma and charm them into doing something different. Remember that you have the Power of WOO (Winning Others Over).

Lori Emmerton said...

hey was I that bad when you lived here??? and I don't smoke. But guess what, the offer will always stand for you and Dave or for that matter Morgan and Tyler as well...but did you ever think I say this out of love and caring always for my children even if it isn't really what I ideally would want??? Huh???

Taylor said...

Mom, I know it is out of love and caring! If we ever HAD to move in, we would and I thank you in advance for the offer. But, I really hope that will never be the case. Not because I don't want to be around you, but because I don't want to be the girl who moves back in with her mom.