Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Grace

I watched along with everyone else last night. I haven't felt that kind of American unity since 9/11.

I was in my Senior year in high school, working as a teachers assistant in the office. It was early morning and I was walking down to give a note to one of the teachers. As I passed by one of the classrooms the news was on and a burning tower flashed quickly before my eyes as I walked past the class and up to the office. Again the television was on. We all watched in horror thinking, "What a terrible mistake." As we watched further, all of the sudden out of the corner of the screen, flew another plane. This was no accident. We all froze. I heard the world stop turning and it was so quiet that you could hear a buzzing in the air. At that moment, the intercom went on and I could hear the principal ask everyone to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance. Again, you could hear and feel the scooting of chairs and the voices of my peers echoing down the halls. I knew then, that everyone in the U.S. was saying a prayer, pledging their allegiance, or crying out. This was my first experience with a universal cry of sadness.

Last night, those feelings arose again. Not of sadness, but of camaraderie. We, as a nation, have been through horror for the last 8 years. I don't put all of the blame of W, but he definitely had his hand in the destruction of our country's moral, reputation, honor, trust, and freedoms. I watched each of the red and blue states light up wishing and hoping with each and every American for change. Hope was in the air. I felt that frozen moment. Suspended in air where I could actually feel a shift in the energy others were giving off. As we all cheered on the 44th President of the United States, the world experienced a bit more carbon dioxide than usual as the United States took a deep breath. The tension that built up and the times of holding our breath is over. Let it all out...breath.

So, I am lucky to have experienced two frozen moments in my life as an American. I am involved in a time where I feel heard and a part of something as uniting as voting should be. I applaud my fellow Americans, both Republican and Democrats alike, and can I say, you amaze me. I am so proud...

Barack Obama, you are so very lucky to govern the United States. We are versatile, resilient, and ready to take what is in store for us. With you by our sides as we step into the unknown, I cannot thank you enough for making me feel safe and a part of something big. The courtship is over, our anniversary will be January 1, 2009 and I cannot wait to start our 8 year marriage!

Welcome to my life.

1 comment:

Sheri Nugent said...

God - you a SUCH a writer! (And I called it - years ago).

BTW - sorry if I'm unreasonable - but I DO blame GWB for pretty much everything. And here's how immature I am. I flip him off everytime I see him on TV. Every. Time.