Sunday, January 11, 2009

Facebook Friends

I was unaware when I was first became a member of Facebook. Michael Book set me up and forwarded me all of my password info shortly there after. I ignored the thing completely, until I accessed my SU e-mail and realized that I had over 200 emails from Facebook. Throughly annoyed, I checked it out. Now, I don't enjoy Facebook at all, rather I find it incredibly interesting. It's most intriguing feature, finding and requesting friendships. I do understand that it may be fun to reconnect with past friends and what not, but I beg the question: Why would you request to my my friend in cyber-space if you are not willing to be my friend in real life? I have had several people, past acquaintances, old school mates, even estranged family ask to be friends, but why? Why do you want to be my Facebook friend? Is is so that we can reconnect? GREAT! Alas, no one has reached out for an invite or a cup of coffee. I believe they are just interested in A) increasing their number of "friends" online, and/or B) check out photos and info of where their "friends" are now. Either way, I don't think I want you as my friend if we are in fact, NOT friends. 

I will continue to erase my overflowing Facebook reminder emails and continue to update my info as well. But, do know, it is for you friends that are truly interested in me and I can say that I have seen/heard from you in the past 6 months. Otherwise, who are you and why do you want to be my faux cyber-friend?

No comments: