Thursday, April 30, 2009

I Still Love Bacon.


We had a discussion with the Y kids about the recent spread and it was interesting to hear their perspective. Each kid had received second hand info from either their parents, teachers, or peers and I could not believe the massive amount of false information they received. They were terrified! Each kids thought they were next to choke all while calling it sPine flu (my giggles here). 

Me: You mean sWine flu? 

Y Kids: No, I mean sPine flu! 

Me: Right.

This made me wonder, do any of these people feeding children false information know that they have a better probability of getting in a car accident, or say shot? For several decades people have died of the flu and now all of the sudden we are worried about it? I'm not sure I get it.

Nonetheless, I refuse to be held hostage by the flu, or any form of it. I could die right now, or yesterday, or tomorrow. Maybe the flu, maybe lightning, who knows. Everyday we step out into the world we run the risk of being the victim of it. But, every moment spent outside of it and closed in, is a moment wasted. They say "Life is Short," I don't plan on wasting it inside and anxiety ridden; I have bigger pigs to fry. 

My final point: I get that this is serious, and I understand that awareness and practicing proper hygiene is grand, but settle yourselves America. We have AIDS, West Nile, Ebola...the flu is the flu, is the flu.   

3 comments:

Sheri Nugent said...

I agree! I am not afraid of swiney! I will be cautious but sensible - and refuse to become fearful/

Emily said...

Here! Here! Well said, Tay. While I enjoy alarmists in general for their entertainment factor, they are getting ridiculous.

Kim said...

yipee i yo, mini sirloin burgers....hirdin cattle the size of schnauzers but they are cattle...
Just wanted to remind you how fun wine tasting was!