Friday, December 11, 2009

I Call it a Sister Connection

I woke up this morning to my normal internet routine, yahoo mail, favorite blogs, and people.com. When I read Mrs. Smith's blog I couldn't relate more.

I too missed my Grammy so much last night it made me catch my breath. As Dave and I hung our ornaments, drinking cocoa, listening to holiday music, I stopped and just starred at her purple Christmas balls now hanging on my Christmas tree.

The last real conversation I had with Grammy was on Christmas Eve last year. She had sent her normal box of joy all wrapped up and with instructions. We all took turns in thanking her and I was the last to go. We talked about the insane amounts of snow and how her flowers were going to be shocked because of how cold it was in Yakima. We talked about school and we made our usual crack about "depends." It was a typical and wonderful conversation with Grammy. Days later she checked herself into the hospital and days after, on January 20th she passed away.

I don't know if it is Grammy reminding Mrs. Smith and I of her, or if it's our sister connection. Either way, I like thinking about her is the most peculiar and normal of times. It reminds me that she really is with me, always.

No comments: