Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Stay Tuned Complete

A great new blogger asked her peeps to check this out...your turn:

http://lifestyle.msn.com/relationships/articleoprah.aspx?cp-documentid=10274156&GT1=32023

Now that you have finished reading this, here are my thoughts. This woman seems very unhappy in her marriage and rightfully so, I wouldn't want to be in her relationship either. But, here it is, you make the relationship you are in. With the exception of any form of abuse or neglect, I believe people are responsible for their relationships and the upkeep required. Example: my parents. They are the perfect example of something right going strangely awry. I have never been quiet about BOTH my parents being at fault for their marriage, but I also have not been quiet about who's exit strategy reigns supreme (Mama shout-out:) My parents had ample amounts of time to bandage and repair their relationship. Even before Mrs. Smith and I were in the picture they could have been doing some preventative work. EVERY COUPLE SHOULD BE ACTIVELY WORKING ON THEIR RELATIONSHIP OR THEY HAVE NO ONE TO BLAME, BUT THEMSELVES, WHEN IT DISINTEGRATES!!!

Again, I am not quiet about my relationships and take blame for not working and trying as hard as I could in some of my relationships. I am BIG on taking responsibility. If you can't take responsibility in your life then I can't be your friend, sorry. Dave and I work all the time on what we should be. And to be honest, you have to come right out and say it. The best lesson I have learned is that no one knows you well enough to know your own thoughts so you best come out and ask for what you want. Then if the person listening chooses not to work on your desires, they are choosing not to take your needs into consideration and you can now be done with them. I don't want the people who don't consider me included in my life. Everything someone wants or tells me I contemplate in depth, know this my friends, and I expect the same. I tell Dave what I need from him and he chooses to make me happy, just as I do for him. I cannot get into his head just as he cannot enter mine. Charades has never been my strong suit so we just come right out and communicate in our house.

To come full circle, I understand the woman in the article could be tired of her life, but stop bumming on what it is and doing something for what could be. If your husband doesn't listen to you, or doesn't want to actively work on your relationship, then you get out. But not without knowing you have fought like hell to make it work. Your kids will thank you for your effort and I am 100% sure they see how unhappy you are making your life. Impress them with your hard work and passion for your family.

2 comments:

Ivy Wilson said...

I love how your thoughts are so concrete. You have such a strong sense of yourself and the direction of your life and it's incredibly admirable.

Sheri Nugent said...

Most excellent, Precious. Personal responsibility - couldn't agree more. You were born with the ability to cut through the crap, call it is it is, and take responsibility for your life. You will be/are a fantastic therapist and mother/sister/niece/friend/daughter/wife/aunt/etc.