Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My Name


For years I have had a stash of names that I wanted to use for future kids or pets and my stash has been breached. Ever since I fell in love with To Kill a Mockingbird in 3rd grade (thank you Annie), I have been obsessed with either having and little boy and/or dog named Jem and a little girl and/or cat named Harper. Harper especially has been my prized possession. I swore EP to secrecy while all of her friends went prego and asked for name suggestions, I made my girlfriends pinkie swear 1st grade style to never steal it, I became obsessed with putting my name in the witness protection program. Alas, the worst thing that could ever happen, happened this summer, a celebrity got a hold of my beloved name. One of the Dixie Chicks named one of their new little chicks Harper. Since they fabulously bashed Bush they have been on the outs and I figured no one would get wind of the name. Sadly, some other no-named actress stole it as well. And here I am now, at my breaking point, Lisa-Marie Presley has named one of her new twin daughters Harper. I feel like it is the end of an era. I love, love, LOVE this name and it can never be mine. Oh well i guess....I am off to discover my next "new" name and hopefully it wont be stolen again.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hey Taylor! I have a stash too! I always wanted to name a girl Jude but then I watched the movie Happy Endings with Maggie Gyllenhaal and her name was Jude :/

Lori Emmerton said...

I totally agree with you...Harper is out there now and will become the next Jessica or Courtney. How come everyone can't just name their kid Apple? I'm okay with that and leave the great names for you and your sister. I think the best bet is go "old fashion"...stick with the Martha's, Iris, Elenore...go back to Jane Austin for your future picks.

Emily said...

I immediately thought of you when I saw that Elvis' spawn named her daughter Harper and totally thought of you!!! She has a Finn (Finley)too damn her!
I assure you I have kept your secret. Do not give up hope! I think you can still name your kid Harper. If you run into Lisa Marie at a party, I swear it won't be awkward.
Miss you and love you. Will you come over and make me laugh please?
Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper stressed out up in here.
XOXO