Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Fast Forward

At work today I had a really nice woman interested in a sofa ask me about myself. This was weird because at University Village, these women don't care 3 shits about who they are talking to they just want their sofa NOW. This particular woman, who's name was Jane and this just made me like her more, was curious about my life. She asked me point blank, "Now, what do you do?" I replied with a inquisitive look and told her that I worked as a manager at RH. She clarified, "But, what do you do?" I stopped for a second and then remembered that I am thousands of dollars in debt because of "what I do"....duh, school. I told her I was a student still and she was all excited telling me how much she missed school and wished she was in the midst of struggling to make ends meet and so on. I sat there and listened to her story thinking, how the hell would you know lady. All you are doing is dropping 40,000 on redecorating your home without so much as flinching. I, on the other hand, am at the point where IKEA furniture is quality. When will it get easier? I have encountered so many people that say they wish they were in school and back in that struggling mode, but do they really remember what that is like? I mean I am not on the streets by any means, but a girl can dream about new jeans and a lovely sofa, right? I want to not worry about budgeting and not stress about groceries. When will my life's choices start paying off? Furthermore, when will it begin? What would it be like if I were to push fast-forward, would I miss this part?

As we've said it before and will for years to come, no matter what the combo, grad-school, growing up, life,......it's all hard Barbie. 

1 comment:

The Wife said...

Trust me. It's worth it. If you can make it past this time in your life, especially while with a partner (Dave), you and the pair of you, can make it through anything. I promise. Keep your eye on the prize.