Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Treasure Island

Today is packing day, otherwise known as, the only day I have off this week. Dave and I signed the lease yesterday, YEAH!!!!, and I inspected the apartment again to make sure we had enough space. Our apartment is 950 sq ft, which is quite large for Queen Anne. The closets are a lovely size and I am in love with all the built-ins.
When I got home today and started packing, I noticed that although I have 2 very large closets, I am wondering where Dave is going to fit all of his clothing. Where did all of my clothes come from? Who knew? I didn't. I mean seriously, I have 2 large suitcases full of clothing and have 4+ loads of laundry still to go. All joking aside, I have way too much shit.
The only fun thing about packing is all of the great treasures you find along the way. They day has been full of phrases such as: "Hey look at that!", "Who gave me this!", and "WOW, what a find!" All of which I believe are unhealthy responses to the items taking up A LOT of space in your own living quarters. These fun phrases told me one thing: PURGE!!!! Get rid of everything that will make boyfriends look at you with the "question look*."

*The Question look includes a tip down of the chin, looking slightly sideways, with one or both eyebrows looking at you judgingly. Usually there is not communication necessary with the question look, but when there is and it is accompanied by this look, that usually means that you are in fact ridiculous and should immediately stop doing what it is that is eliciting both the look and verbiage.

Anyway, amongst my "question look" items, I found a lovely photo. My parents went to Hawaii on their honeymoon in the '70's and I have never heard much about it. In fact, I don't know much of what life was like for parents when they were growing up, in high school, just married, new parents; I would like to met them during that time. Sorry, that was off the topic....So, the photo is of the sand. It is very cliche, but their initials are drawn in a heart with "true love" written under it. Is that not one of the most beautiful things you have ever seen. We have all seen this or done it ourselves, but I felt different when it was done by my parents well before me. I have to admit that I stared at it for about 5 minutes wondering if that was the first time my mom had written her new initials or what they wished for.

They divorced 6 years ago. I think marriage is like those words in the sand. You can't just write it once and expect it to be there day after day. You have to constantly, everyday, re-write it and make it fresh again. You have to stand above the words and marvel at your penmanship. You can be frustrated that everyday there are odds and the waves against you, but you are committed to make the words stay.

My sister is getting married and I have no doubt that she can make her words stay in the sand.

3 comments:

Sheri Nugent said...

Taylor Taylor Taylor.. what a writer you are!!! Holy cow. You have such a way.....

The Wife said...

It's far too early in the morning for tears to get going! That was very sweet.

Lori Emmerton said...

once again you pull me into a memory that brings a smile to my face...xoxo